- Who is ABC Reading Eggs for?
- Who developed ABC Reading Eggs?
- My child is not at school yet and can’t read at all. Can my child use the ABC Reading Eggs program?
- My child is struggling. Can ABC Reading Eggs help?
- How will I know that my child is making progress?
- What can I do?
- How far does the ABC Reading Eggs program go?
- Are there books to go with the online program?
- What about writing?
- Do I need to sit with my child for every lesson?
- Why do children love it?
- Why doesn’t the program teach the alphabet in alphabetical order?
- Why are there online reward games?
- What does the Australian Broadcasting Corporation have to do with Reading Eggs?
- How do I purchase an ABC Reading Eggs online subscription?
- Will my child’s progress be retained when I purchase a subscription?
- Is ABC Reading Eggs iPad compatible?
- Is ABC Reading Eggs Android compatible?
- I am having problems with Flash
- I filled out the registration form but I did not receive the activation email?
- I have to reset my password every time I log in.
- What do I need to supply?
- Who do I call if I need technical help?
- Minimum Requirements
- Troubleshooting tips
Lessons Activities and Games Information
- How do I put the furniture that we bought from Reggie’s shop into my ABC Reading Eggs house?
- What is an avatar?
- How can i change my avatar’s appearance?
- Why do children create their own character?
- Why is there a critter collection?
- What is the new World?
Who is ABC Reading Eggs for?
ABC Reading Eggs is designed for 3-13 year olds who want to learn to read. The program begins at an absolute beginner level, so children need no prior knowledge to start. Children can learn to read using this program.
Who developed ABC Reading Eggs?
The ABC Reading Eggs program has been developed by a highly experienced team of teachers, educational writers, animators and web developers. It focuses on a core reading curriculum of skills and strategies which are essential for sustained, reading success. It completely supports what children learn at school and will help to improve your child’s results.
My child is not at school yet and can’t read at all. Can my child use the ABC Reading Eggs program?
Yes, ABC Reading Eggs starts at the beginning and teaches every skill your child needs to learn to read. Children as young as three can use the program. With younger children, it’s best for lessons to be done more than once as young children love repetition and replaying lessons will really support their learning. ABC Reading eggs lessons can be replayed as often as you like.
My child is struggling. Can ABC Reading Eggs help?
Some children don’t enjoy reading because of early failures, while other children struggle to retain the many skills and concepts needed to become successful readers. Working on the computer is a great way for children to build skills. The computer never judges them. They can progress at their own rate and if they are having problems, lessons can be repeated as many times as they want. The program has been successful with children with learning difficulties, autistic spectrum disorder and other struggling readers.
For children with reading difficulties, repetition is one of the keys to success and the ABC Reading Eggs games and activities are fun to do, so children will enjoy repeating them.
How will I know that my child is making progress?
At the end of each map, your child will have to complete a quiz. After completion of this quiz you will receive a personalised email, describing your child’s reading progress and the skills and concepts covered. Each learner also has their own web-based dashboard which displays a brief overview of the reading skills covered and number of books read. Go to the About section of ABC Reading Eggs to see an overview of the levels and details of all the phonic skills, sight words and vocabulary covered in the lessons.
What can I do?
You can introduce your child to this exciting experience. You can witness their joy and wonder as they learn to read. You can cheer their reading achievements and successes. It’s a wonderful experience to be a part of.
How far does the ABC Reading Eggs program go?
The program is a sequential series of lessons that starts at a complete beginner’s level. It develops essential reading skills in a progression that will take a non-reader through to a grade 2 reading level.
Are there books to go with the online program?
Yes, the ABC Reading Eggs book packs are a great way to access the program. Each ABC Reading Eggs book pack comes with 10 reading books and an access code that opens a 14 day subscription to the online program. The book packs also contain a progress map with stickers. After each lesson, you can add stickers to the map as a reward and to mark progress. This great feature adds to the rewarding experience and improves motivation.
What about writing?
ABC Reading Eggs Activity books are another great Reading Eggs resource. These books include a matching writing lesson for every reading lesson. These full colour activity books are an excellent way to reinforce and extend what children are learning online. The link between reading and writing is a strong one. Research shows that the act of writing is an excellent way to reinforce reading and phonic skills.
Do I need to sit with my child for every lesson?
You only need to be there for the first lesson, to make sure that your child knows their way around and understands what to do. After that, it’s entirely optional, but it can be fun to watch if you have the time.
Why do children love it?
We have worked hard to make this the best online website for young children. It has everything that children love to do online. The games, the songs, the variety of activities and the many rewards all work together to make learning to read an exciting, fun and enjoyable experience. And young children love learning to read.
Why doesn’t the program teach the alphabet in alphabetical order?
The ABC Reading Eggs program has been designed to get children reading as quickly as possible. To do this, we initially need to focus on the sounds and high frequency words that will enable children to read their first simple words and sentences. We want children to learn how letters make words and how these words can make sentences – sentences that they can read. This is why the program does not progress in alphabetical order as ABC Reading Eggs is all about learning the skills and strategies that are important when you are learning to read. Very early on in the program children learn that what they read has meaning and it makes sense. They also experience real success – children read their first story book in lesson 9 – and this is what learning to read is all about, reading books for meaning and enjoyment.
Why are there online reward games?
After every five or so lessons each child earns enough golden eggs to go to the ABC Reading Eggs Arcade. Here they can choose a game to play. As children work through their reading lessons, they are concentrating, working hard and achieving as they learn many new reading skills. We want children to know that we realise that they are working hard in their learning. They deserve a reward for their efforts and sometimes they simply want to play. That’s what these games are for – a fun way to say well done!
What does the Australian Broadcasting Corporation have to do with Reading Eggs?
Blake Publishing has joined forces with ABC Commercial to bring the fantastic ABC Reading Eggs program to Australians via the ABC Connect brand. The ABC, like the Blake team, is committed to producing and distributing innovative, high quality content that its audiences and customers find educational and enjoyable.
How do I purchase an ABC Reading Egg online subscription?
Simply log in to your ABC Reading Eggs account. On the Dashboard screen, click on the green ‘Purchase’ button at the top of the screen. If you are logged in and you can not see the ‘Purchase’ button you need to navigate to the Dashboard page within your account. If you are in your child’s map you will need to click ‘Bye’ on the left hand side of the map. If you do not have an account simply click here to register for a free trial.
Will my child’s progress be retained when I purchase a subscription?
Your child’s progress will be retained when you purchase an online subscription. To retain the progress you need to ensure that you are logged in to your account which has the progress you wish to retain. If you are purchasing over the phone you need to advise the customer service team that you are extending an existing account.
Is ABC Reading Eggs iPad compatible?
Yes, you can use ABC Reading Eggs on iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and mini with a minimum Operating System of 6.0. For more information please click here. You can also access the ABC Reading Eggspress Library of over a thousand books on your iPad.
Is ABC Reading Eggs Android compatible?
Yes, you can use ABC Reading Eggs on Android devices with Operating System 4.1, Jelly Bean or later. For more information please click here.
I am having problems with Flash.
Some users have reported problems with Flash when not using the latest version. If some of the animations stop unexpectedly you may find that updating to the latest version of Flash helps. The latest version of Flash can be downloaded here
Updating Adobe flash player will usually resolve the following issues:
- I can not open the next lesson
- I can only see a blank page when I access ABC Reading Eggs
- When the graphics distort or skip
- When the lesson is stuck
- When the progress made is not recognised and the lesson has to be repeated.
I filled out the registration form but I did not receive the activation email?
When you register, ABC Reading Eggs sends an activation email to the email address you supplied. The email may go to your junk mail, so be sure to check all areas of your email inbox. If you have not received the activation email within 15 minutes your registration may not have been successful. Try to register again using a unique login name.
I have to reset my password every time I log in.
If you have tried to reset your password and you need to reset each time you login you may have the correct password but the wrong username. Your username is detailed in the email which is sent to your email when you reset your ABC Reading Eggs account password.
What do I need to supply?
All you need to supply is a computer and the ability to set your child up on it at least two times per week. The program works best on a broadband connection.
Who do I call if I need technical help?
You can contact our friendly customer service staff on 02 8585 4020 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ABC Reading Eggs:
- a high speed Broadband Internet service
- Windows 2000+
- Mac OS X 10.4+
(Please note your computer must have a working sound card)
- Screen Resolution: 1024×768
- Windows: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome
- Mac: Safari 4.0, Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome
- Flash Player: 10.56 and higher
- iPad: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and mini with a minimum Operating System of 6.0. Can be used on Safari or Google Chrome(recommended).
- Android: Android OS 4.1, Jelly Bean or above. Must have Google Chrome 29.0 or later and Google Play Store to download Chrome browser.
- A high speed Broadband Internet service (An average Mathseeds lesson will use between 30 – 75 MB of Bandwidth)
- Windows Vista+
- Mac OS X 10.6 +
- iPad 2+
- iOS 6+
(For best performance, we advise having the most recent version)
- Safari (requires Quicktime for sound)
- Firefox (requires Flash for sound)
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer 9+
- Must use Google Chrome browser.
- Performs best on Android 4.1+.
- Recommended products: Google Nexus 7.
Most problems with ABC Reading Eggs can be fixed by following the troubleshooting steps below. Try these steps in order. If one doesn’t fix the problem, move onto the next one. If you need any help, please contact our friendly customer service team.
- Refresh your page.
- Ensure you have fixed line high speed broadband access.
- Ensure that you access the ABC Reading EGgs via the internet address bar and not through “shortcuts” or “favourites”.
- Get the latest edition of flash player click here.
- Delete your browsing history (temporary internet files/cache/cookies) as your computer may be continually memorising the same error. If you are not sure how to do this please click here for appropriate instructions.
- Download Google Chrome web browser www.google.com/chrome.
- Investigate whether you have a parental lock or anti-virus software that is blocking the site. Ensure the following URL’s have been added to your safe list.
- Refresh the page.
- Ensure you have high speed wifi Internet access.
- Ensure that Java script is enabled on your device.
- Delete the Browser history and cookies. For appropriate instructions, Safari users click here and chrome users click here.
- Close and restart the Application/Browser. For appropriate instructions, iPad users click here and Android users click here.
- Reset your device.
iPad: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
Android: Press and hold the Power/lock button and select ‘Power Off’ from the options to shutdown the device. Press and hold the Power/lock button again to restart it.
- Delete and re-install the application.
How do I put the furniture that we bought from Reggie’s shop into my ABC Reading Eggs house?
Go to your house and click on the Zoom icon. Now click on the floor of your house where you want to add the item. More buttons will now appear at the bottom of your screen. Click on the + button to add items. If you want to add items to your garden, zoom into your garden first and now add your items.
What is an avatar?
An avatar is an online character that children can make their own.
How can I change my avatar’s appearance?
To change an avatar’s appearance, you simply need to log in to your account and navigate to the ‘My Stuff’ tab, from here select ‘My Avatar’. You will be able to select a variety of items in the change room. You have lots of free items to choose from as well as extra accessories you can buy from Reggie’s Shop. To pay for these you will need ‘golden eggs’, which you earn by completing lessons and puzzles. You need to visit the shop and buy these items before you go to the change room.
Why do children create their own character?
Every child is unique and they can express this by creating their own online character, their avatar. This quirky egg-based character welcomes them back every time they return. This avatar is their very own creation and children can change this character as often as they like.
Why is there a critter collection?
After each lesson children are rewarded with a great new ABC Reading Eggs critter to add to their zoo. This collection continues to grow, the more reading lessons they complete. Children love collecting and our cute critters are fun to watch and fun to collect. The ABC Reading Eggs critters also have a fun learning to read connection – go to your My critters page and check out each card and you’ll see that the critter cards have information that builds knowledge of the letter or sound that was the focus of the lesson.
What is the new World?
The newly created ABC Reading Eggs World allows your child to explore new destinations including Puzzle Park, Reggie’s Shop and their very own Reading Eggs house. It is jam packed full of educational fun, including 32 new brain stretching puzzles! The new World is an extension of the ABC Reading Eggs program, designed for 6-8 year olds who are just starting to stretch their reading wings.