Frequently Asked Questions
Experiencing problems with audio or sound on your tablet?
Click here for troubleshooting tips.
Find answers quickly below or search our detailed knowledge base.
- What age is ABC Reading Eggs for?
- Who developed ABC Reading Eggs?
- My child is not at school yet and can’t read at all. Can they use the ABC Reading Eggs program?
- My child is struggling. Can ABC Reading Eggs help?
- How will I know that my child is making progress?
- How does ABC Reading Eggs teach my child to read?
- How far does the ABC Reading Eggs program go?
- Are there books to go with the online program?
- Book shipping information
- What about writing?
- Do I need to sit with my child for every lesson?
- Why do children love ABC Reading Eggs?
- Why doesn’t ABC Reading Eggs teach the alphabet in alphabetical order?
- Why are there online reward games?
- How do I purchase an ABC Reading Eggs online subscription?
- Will my child’s progress be retained when I purchase a subscription?
- Is ABC Reading Eggs iPad and iPhone compatible?
- Is ABC Reading Eggs Android compatible?
- I can't hear audio or sound in ABC Reading Eggs and ABC Mathseeds on my tablet (iPad or Galaxy Tab 3).
- I filled out the registration form but I did not receive the activation email?
- I have to reset my password every time I log in.
- What do I need to supply?
- Who do I call if I need technical help?
- Technical Requirements
- Troubleshooting tips
Lessons Activities and Games Information
- How do I put the furniture that we bought from the Shop into my ABC Reading Eggs house?
- What is an avatar?
- How can i change my avatar’s appearance?
- Why do children create their own character?
- Why is there a critter collection?
- What additional areas can my child explore?
- Can I restrict access to ABC Reading Eggs Junior?
- What is My Program
- Why did we add My Program to ABC Reading Eggs?
- How many books are in My Program?
- How does My Program work?
- Do the books have audio?
- Does each book have a quiz?
- Does my child have to read the My Program books?
- My child read 4 books but there are still more to read. Why is that?
- My child wants to read another book, but there are none showing. How can we access more books?
- Can my child reread books?
- My child has read a book, but it’s still showing on the My Program board.
- Who is Fast Phonics for?
- What is a Peak?
- What is a Stone?
- How do I know when my child is ready to move from Reading Eggs to Fast Phonics?
- Where should I be setting my child?
- Can I move my child to a different Peak?
- What will Fast Phonics provide in the first release?
- What will be added to Fast Phonics later in 2020?
- How can my child use Fast Phonics after the first release?
- What rewards are earned in Fast Phonics?
- Where does Fast Phonics fit with Reading Eggs, Reading Eggspress and the Library?
What age is ABC Reading Eggs for?
ABC Reading Eggs is designed for 2–13 year olds. The program begins at an absolute beginner level, so children need no prior knowledge to start. There are two programs within ABC Reading Eggs – ABC Reading Eggs for 3-7 year olds and ABC Reading Eggspress for 7-13 year olds.
Who developed ABC Reading Eggs?
The ABC Reading Eggs program has been developed by a highly experienced team of teachers, educational writers, animators and web developers. It focuses on a core reading curriculum of skills and strategies which are essential for sustained, reading success. It completely supports what children learn at school.
My child is not at school yet and can’t read at all. Can my child use the ABC Reading Eggs program?
Yes, ABC Reading Eggs starts at the beginning and teaches every skill your child needs to learn to read. Children as young as three can use the program to prepare for their first years of school. With younger children, it’s best for lessons to be done more than once as young children love repetition and replaying lessons will really support their learning. ABC Reading Eggs lessons can be replayed as often as you like.
My child is struggling with reading. Can ABC Reading Eggs help?
Some children don’t enjoy reading because of early failures, while other children struggle to retain the many skills and concepts needed to become successful readers. Working on the computer or tablet device is a great way for children to build skills. They can progress at their own rate and if they are having problems, lessons can be repeated as many times as they want. The program has been successful with children with learning difficulties, autistic spectrum disorder and other struggling readers.
For children with reading difficulties, repetition is one of the keys to success, and the ABC Reading Eggs games and activities are fun to do, so children will enjoy repeating them.
How will I know that my child is making progress?
At the end of each map, your child will have to complete a quiz. After completion of this quiz you will receive a personalised email, describing your child’s reading progress and the skills and concepts covered. You also have your own dashboard (the Family Dashboard), which displays a live, in-depth overview of the reading skills covered, number of books read and more.
How does ABC Reading Eggs teach my child to read?
ABC Reading Eggs unlocks all aspects of learning to read for your child, focusing on a core curriculum of phonics and phonemic awareness, sight words, vocabulary, comprehension, and reading for meaning. The program is based on solid scientific research and focuses around the five essential keys to reading success – phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, comprehension and fluency. For a more detailed overview of how ABC Reading Eggs works, visit the About page.
How far does the ABC Reading Eggs program go?
The program is a sequential series of lessons that starts at a complete beginner’s level. It develops essential reading skills in a progression that will take a non-reader through to a grade 2 reading level.
Are there books to go with the online program?
Yes, the ABC Reading Eggs book packs are a great way to access the program. Each ABC Reading Eggs book pack comes with 10 reading books and an access code that opens a 14 day subscription to the online program. The book packs also contain a progress map with stickers. After each lesson, you can add stickers to the map as a reward and to mark progress. This great feature adds to the rewarding experience and improves motivation. Find out more here.
Book shipping information
Please note that there is a shipping fee of $7.95 on all orders, and to allow for 7-10 business days for the arrival of your order.
What about writing?
ABC Reading Eggs Activity Books are another great ABC Reading Eggs resource. These books include a matching writing lesson for every reading lesson. These full colour activity books are an excellent way to reinforce and extend what children are learning online. The link between reading and writing is a strong one. Research shows that the act of writing is an excellent way to reinforce reading and phonic skills.
Do I need to sit with my child for every lesson?
You only need to be there for the first lesson, to make sure that your child knows their way around and understands what to do. After that, it’s entirely optional, but it can be fun to watch if you have the time.
Why do children love ABC Reading Eggs?
We have worked hard to make this the best online educational website for young children. It has everything that children love to do. The games, the songs, the variety of activities and the many rewards all work together to make learning to read an exciting, fun and enjoyable experience.
Why doesn’t ABC Reading Eggs teach the alphabet in alphabetical order?
The ABC Reading Eggs program has been designed to get children reading as quickly as possible. To do this, we initially need to focus on the sounds and high-frequency words that will enable children to read their first simple words and sentences. We want children to learn how letters make words and how these words can make sentences – sentences that they can read. This is why the program does not progress in alphabetical order as ABC Reading Eggs is all about learning the skills and strategies that are important when you are learning to read. Very early on in the program children learn that what they read has meaning and it makes sense. They also experience real success – children read their first story book in Lesson 9 – and this is what learning to read is all about, reading books for meaning and enjoyment.
Why are there online reward games?
After every five or so lessons each child earns enough golden eggs to go to the Games section. Here they can choose a game to play. As children work through their reading lessons, they are concentrating, working hard and achieving as they learn many new reading skills. We want children to know that we realise they are working hard in their learning. They deserve a reward for their efforts and sometimes they simply want to play. That’s what these games are for – a fun way to say well done!
How do I purchase a ABC Reading Egg online subscription?
Simply log into your ABC Reading Eggs account. On the Family Dashboard screen, click on the green ‘Purchase’ button at the top of the screen. If you are logged in and you cannot see the ‘Purchase’ button you need to navigate to the Family Dashboard page within your account. If you are in your child's map (the program itself) you will need to navigate back to your Family Dashboard. If you do not have an account, simply click here to register.
Will my child’s progress be retained when I purchase a subscription?
Your child’s progress will be retained when you purchase an online subscription. To retain the progress you need to ensure that you are logged into your account which has the progress you wish to retain. If you are purchasing over the phone, please advise the customer service team that you are extending an existing account.
Is Reading Eggs iPad and iPhone compatible?
Yes, you can use ABC Reading Eggs on an iPad and iPhone. For more information please read our full technical requirements.
Is ABC Reading Eggs Android compatible?
Yes, you can use ABC Reading Eggs on Android devices. For more information please read our full technical requirements.
I can't hear audio or sound in ABC Reading Eggs and ABC Mathseeds on my tablet (iPad or Galaxy Tab 3).
For newer models such as iPad Air or iPad Pro, please follow these steps:
- Open the Reading Eggs app
- Swipe up from either the bottom of the screen or from the top right‑hand corner to display the iPad's control centre (the same one you would use to put your iPad into flight mode)
- Locate the bell‑shaped mute button – this will have a line through it indicating the app has been muted
- Tap the bell mute icon and the sound will return to the program.
For older models of iPads:
- Open the settings on your iPad
- Open 'General Settings' and locate 'Use Side Switch to'
- If 'Mute' is selected please switch it to 'Lock Rotation' and vice versa, if 'Lock Rotation' is selected please switch it to 'Mute'
- Ensure that the lock switch on the side of the iPad is not in the mute position
- Reopen the app and the sound should play as intended.
For Galaxy Tab 3:
- Make sure you have the latest Chrome version on your tablet
- Open the Chrome browser and type chrome://flags in the address bar
- Scroll down and look for 'Enable WebAudio'
- Enable it and relaunch the browser.
If you're still experiencing audio issues after following these steps, please contact our friendly customer service team.
I filled out the registration form but I did not receive the activation email?
When you register, ABC Reading Eggs sends an activation email to the email address you supplied. The email may go to your junk mail, so be sure to check all areas of your email inbox. If you have not received the activation email within 15 minutes your registration may not have been successful. Try to register again using a unique login name.
I have to reset my password every time I log in.
If you have tried to reset your password and you need to reset each time you login you may have the correct password but the wrong username. Your username is detailed in the email which is sent to your email when you reset your ABC Reading Eggs account password.
What do I need to supply in order for my child to use ABC Reading Eggs?
All you need to supply is a desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile device, internet connection, and the ability to set your child up on the program at least two times per week. The program works best on a broadband connection.
Who do I call if I need technical help?
You can contact our friendly customer service team here.
For a full list of technical requirements, please click here.
For a full list of troubleshooting tips, please click here.
How do I put the furniture that we bought from the Shop into my Reading Eggs house?
Go to your house and click on the Zoom icon. Then click on the floor of your house where you want to add the item. More buttons will appear at the bottom of your screen. Click on the + button to add items. If you want to add items to your garden, zoom into your garden first and then add your items.
What is an avatar?
An avatar is an online character that children can create.
How can I change my avatar’s appearance?
To change an avatar’s appearance, navigate to My Avatar in the program. Your child will be able to select a variety of items in the change room. They have lots of free items to choose from as well as extra accessories they can buy from the Shop. To pay for these, they will need to have enough golden eggs, which they earn by completing lessons and books. Your child will need to visit the Shop and buy these items before they go to the change room.
Why do children create their own character?
Every child is unique and they can express this by creating their own online character, their avatar. This quirky egg-based character welcomes them back every time they return. This avatar is their very own creation and children can change this character as often as they like.
Why is there a critter collection?
After each lesson children are rewarded with a great new ABC Reading Eggs critter to add to their zoo. This collection continues to grow, the more reading lessons they complete. Children love collecting and our cute critters are fun to watch and fun to collect. The ABC Reading Eggs critters also have a fun learning to read connection – go to your Critters page and check out each card and you’ll see that the critter cards have information that builds knowledge of the letter or sound that was the focus of the lesson.
What additional areas can my child explore?
On top of the ABC Reading Eggs lessons, there are multiple learning areas for your child to explore, including Puzzles (fun word puzzles for younger learners), Driving Tests (assessment), Story Factory (online story creator), Storylands (comprehension lessons) and Spelling. These areas open at various stages in the program, depending on what lesson your child is on.
Can I restrict access to ABC Reading Eggs Junior?
Some parents may wish to restrict access to ABC Reading Eggs Junior. This is so that children can focus on the ABC Reading Eggs or ABC Reading Eggspress lessons. You can temporarily disable Reading Eggs Junior by logging into your Family Dashboard, selecting 'Edit details' under your child's tab and selecting 'Disable Reading Eggs Junior'. Your child's progress will not be lost and you can enable it again whenever you want.
What is My Program?
My Program is a display board that makes it easier to access ABC Reading Eggs lessons and books. Children can easily track their reading progress through My Program and view book recommendations with each lesson, as well as view their Spelling progress. My Program also includes special award videos that play when a child achieves a reading milestone.
Why did we add My Program to ABC Reading Eggs?
So that children can easily access books to read that match their reading level. Every lesson now comes with 4 matching books – 2 fiction and 2 nonfiction titles.
How many books are in My Program?
There are more than 350 new fiction and nonfiction books for children to read. Each book has been carefully matched to the reading level of your child.
How does My Program work?
My Program begins at lesson 11. When children open up ABC Reading Eggs they will see a board with their name on it, e.g. Jarrah’s program or Ella’s program. As a child progresses through ABC Reading Eggs the My Program board reflects their progress. The My Program board shows each child which lessons they can do next, along with 4 books to read, and a suggested Spelling lesson. Each icon takes them directly to their chosen task.
Do the books have audio?
Yes, all books from Level 0–20 include a read aloud function so that children can listen to a fluent reading of the book.
Does each book have a quiz?
Yes all the books come with a comprehension quiz. These are short quizzes of 5 or 10 questions that check to see that children have understood what they have read.
Does my child have to read the My Program books?
No, they can choose to read the books or continue on with their lessons. The new books are completely optional but most children will enjoy the wide range of books provided.
My child read 4 books but there are still more to read. Why is that?
If your child is on lesson 20, and they have read the lesson 20 books, the books they read will be replaced by earlier books in the program.
My child wants to read another book, but there are none showing. How can we access more books?
That’s simple, complete more reading lessons. Once a child reads all the books that match the lesson they are on, they need to complete more lessons to get more books and move up levels.
Can my child reread books?
Yes, they are always in your child’s bookshelf. Just tap on the Books Read icon that appears on the My Program board to see and read all the books your child has read.
My child has read a book, but it’s still showing on the My Program board.
For the book to move to Books Read, children must pass the quiz for that book. Once the quiz is passed (and eggs earned) the book will move to your Books Read bookshelf.
Who is Fast Phonics for?
Fast Phonics is suitable for children aged 5–10. The program is designed for emergent and early readers, as well as older children with gaps in their core reading knowledge. The program is also highly beneficial for English Language Learners (ELL and ESL).
What is a Peak?
Fast Phonics has 20 levels and each level is presented as a Mountain Peak. Each Peak covers one set of letters thoroughly with more than 20 activities.
What is a Stone?
Each Fast Phonics peak is organised into parts called Stones. A Stone is a video or interactive learning activity. There are also books to read which come with their own quizzes, as well as a quiz at the end of each Peak. Children complete Stones at their own pace.
How do I know when my child is ready to move from ABC Reading Eggs to Fast Phonics?
ABC Reading Eggs teaches children to learn to read using the five essential elements of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics instruction, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension. Fast Phonics takes the phonemic awareness and phonics components found in ABC Reading Eggs and goes even deeper. It offers sequenced lessons focused specifically on synthetic phonics. Fast Phonics can be used alongside or after ABC Reading Eggs to ensure your child has a thorough and deep understanding of the phonics needed to help them become lifelong learners.
Where should I be setting my child?
Beginner readers and older children with gaps in their core knowledge need regular practice identifying phonemes (sounds) and learning to blend these sounds together to read words. This key skill is introduced in Peak 1 of the program. We recommend that learners start at Peak 1 so that these key skills are reinforced and mastered with each set of new phonemes.
Can I move my child to a different Peak?
The ability to adjust your child’s level in Fast Phonics will be available in September 2020.
What will Fast Phonics provide in the first release?
Fast Phonics was first released in July 2020 and includes:
- access to Peaks 1–11 covering Phase 2 and Phase 3 (except for er, ure in Peak 12)
- access through the Peaks from the beginning of Peak 1
- Parent Bonus Materials: Handwriting and Phonics worksheets for each Peak.
What will be added to Fast Phonics later in 2020?
- Yeti Shop – the one-stop-shop for children to spend all their Yeti coins! (Available now)
- Peaks 12–20 covering the end of Phase 3 and all of Phases 4 and 5
- Placement Test (when all Peaks are released) and the ability to adjust your child’s level
- Reporting feature to track your child’s skills and progress.
How can my child use Fast Phonics after the first release?
Since the placement test is not available until later in 2020, your child will need to start at the beginning of the program and work through each activity and Peak. 8/10 or 80% needs to be achieved throughout in order to move on. Your child will be prompted to try again when the score is not achieved.
What rewards are earned in Fast Phonics?
Your child will earn Yeti coins and gems for the letter sounds and words they learn.
In the Progress area, they will be able to see the letter sounds and words in each Peak they’ve mastered, as well as the average score in each end-of-peak quiz.
In each Peak, there are two treasure chests to unlock, which will give your child exciting upgrades to their Yeti home.
Where does Fast Phonics fit with ABC Reading Eggs, ABC Reading Eggspress and the Library?
- ABC Reading Eggs: our core program for children learning to read using the five pillars of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension skills
- Fast Phonics: our systematic, synthetic phonics program, which reinforces and extends your child’s phonics skills beyond what is taught in ABC Reading Eggs
- ABC Reading Eggspress: for children in Years 2–6, this sequenced program focuses on reading comprehension skills as well as building vocabulary, spelling and reading fluency
- Library: over 2500 books for all reading levels where children can search for books of their choice by fiction, nonfiction, topic, genre, and author. All books include quizzes and can be assigned to students.